Deciding if you want to be a parent may be one of the biggest questions you will ever consider. Whether you already have children or are considering parenthood for the first time, both the idea and the reality of raising a child can bring up lots of emotions, fears, and hopes. Our Talkline (1-888-493-0092) offers a space to explore all your feelings about parenthood without any assumptions, limitations, or judgments.
- Parenting Resources from the Dept of HHS: An index of resources and information on parenting compiled by the Administration for Children & Families.
- National Parent Helpline: Run by Parents Anonymous, this line offers emotional support to parents and caregivers of children and youth of all ages. 1-855-427-2736. The website also has lots of resources.
- National Diaper Bank Network: Diapers are a major expense and they are not usually covered by food stamps, WIC or welfare benefits. This network of local resources distributes free diapers.
Stories & Support for Parents:
- Offbeat Families supports and celebrates parents and caregivers who are moving beyond mainstream visions of parenting, and anyone who’s interested in families, whether you’re pre-parental, in the process of becoming a parent, or choosing to live childfree.
- Single Mothers by Choice offers virtual and local support and information to single women who are considering, or have chosen, single motherhood.
- Hip Mama is an independent online magazine bursting with political commentary and ribald tales from the front lines of motherhood.
- NonCustodial Parent Community is a site dedicated to sharing experiences, strategies, and solutions, to challenge biases about noncustodial parents.
- The PushBack: We know that teen parents can be capable caregivers and fabulous role models for their children. This space is to push back against all that ignorance, bitterness, and prejudice and show what young parenthood really looks like.
- Girl Mom: Designed and moderated by and for young mothers, the Girl Mom community offers real voices of teen parents on topics including education, rights, self esteem, kids, sexuality, and politics.
Parent & Family Advocates:
- Strong Families is a 10-year national initiative led by Forward Together to change the way people think, feel and act in support of ALL our families.
- Moms Rising: where moms and people who love them go to change our world. Together we can build a nation where children, parents, and businesses thrive; and end discrimination against mothers.
- Legal Services for Prisoners with Children unites the struggles for criminal and reproductive justice by protecting incarcerated parents’ rights, seeking their release, and fighting for reunification of families.
Deciding NOT to Parent:
- Childfree.net is a group of adults who all share at least one common desire: we do not wish to have children of our own. We choose to call ourselves “childfree” rather than “childless,” because we feel the term “childless” implies that we’re missing something we want – and we aren’t.